Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Year's Resolution - in May!

In January, I posted a New Year's resolution.  I wanted to memorize two Bible verses a month.  I joined a blog community to help me with this journey, along with some friends.

Here's how it goes:  I have a little index card sized flip notebook.  Each time I learn a new verse, I add it in my notebook.  So as of today, I've learned 10 verses this year.  I can flip and practice them anytime.  I also have my 7yo write the verses out as part of her handwriting practice & both of my daughters help me memorize them.  Nothing like a little one making sure I know my verses! :)



I've wanted to give up on this resolution several times already, but I've pushed through so far.  Why learn these verses?  Memorizing verses from the Bible has had a huge impact on my every day life.  Reciting verses can calm me down, give me peace, encourage me, challenge me and make me feel loved.  I believe that the Bible is truly inspired by God. I don't know how else to explain it other than God's word in the Bible is powerful. 

So, I'm going to practice my verses now by typing them out.  I'm not perfect at remembering WHERE these verses are located in the Bible, so I'm working on that.  (Also a note to those who are interested: websites like www.biblegateway.com are helpful with viewing different verses and versions quickly.)

Psalm 65:11, NLT
You crown the year with a bountiful harvest.  Even the hard pathways overflow with abundance.  

Jeremiah 29:11, NIV
"For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Romans 12:12, ESV
Rejoice in hope,
Be patient in tribulation, 
Be constant in prayer.

James 1:19, NIV
Dear brothers, take note of this: be QUICK to listen, SLOW to speak and SLOW to become angry.

Judges 5:21b
March on, my soul;  be strong!

Proverbs 16:3, NIRV
Commit to the Lord everything you do.  Then your plans will succeed.

Philippians 4:13, NLT
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

Psalm 121:1-3
I lift my eyes to the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

Jeremiah 32:27, NIV
I am the Lord, the God of all mankind.  Is anything too hard for me?

and the one I just added today........

Psalm 27:14, NET
Rely on the Lord!  Be strong and confident!  Rely on the Lord!

Popular Posts

Search This Blog